Saturday 20 October 2012

Curtain dress part 2

I wore my Curtain Dress as I call it out for the very first time today! Here are some photos - please excuse the creases - I had been sat in a cafe eating lunch...I knew I should have taken the photos before leaving when the dress was ironed!
Also in the first two photos, I forgot that the bright yellow bucket was spoiling the photo right behind me...

It was really comfy to wear and apart from the fabric getting very creasy, I loved the look - not too baggy and not too clingy. I did decide to take the hem up a bit so I didn't cheat in the end Katie! I had cut the pattern out to length B but it didn't look quite right below my knee but by taking it up about 1 or 2 inches, it's just above my knee which looks much better with boots.

Overall, I thought the pattern (Simplicity 1878, the Diplomat dress) was a great little sew for a beginner like me. I did have to take it in quite a lot, even though I cut it according to my measurements but I'd much rather do that than realise I'd cut all the pieces too small. It's all experience for me. I would definitely sew it again, maybe in a lightweight cotton for summer.

By the way, those tights might not look like much in the photos but they are fleece-lined - brilliantly warm and cosy for the winter! (Another bargain from Primark)

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! Can't believe it's your first dress! And congrats on your April wedding! What do you have planned for your next project, the skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No honestly as one says over here : "Chapeau !" I'm impressed with your first garment, bet you feel really chuffed!. So what are you going to do now that you have caught the bug???

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a super flattering cut on you and I really like the neckline. I have messed around with the Lisette hem lengths a few times too. I always cut things a bit long now and it gives me some fabric to play with in case things don't look right. This looks fab- well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aah, thanks all of you...it's so nice to get positive comments (makes me think I'm actually doing something right!) Now for the next two projects up my sleeve (oh dear, dressmaking related puns already, never a good sign...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Taryn. You should definitely try it, it's a really easy pattern to follow (well, if I can, anyone can!) Would love to see how yours turns out. And those fleece lined tights are from a budget fashion store called Primark - same sort of quality as Walmart I would assume - but I'm really pleased with how warm they are for winter! x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave me a comment. Thanks!